Saturday, March 24, 2007

Funk You



Back in the late 80's, while watching Headbangers Ball, I saw a video from a band called Mordred, which was playing this funked up, metal version of Superfreak. I thought it was pretty cool, and they were actually the opening band for a Sacred Reich or Forbidden show I was going to, so I got the full experience. I will say, Mordred hooked me after seeing them live. You could tell they were all great musicians, combined with the resident DJ Pause, it was something totally new back then. The first Mordred release, Fool's Game, out on Noise International was a nice little gem that mixed some thrash metal with some funk. Not like the dreaded Limp Bisqucik we had to endure, and the rash of followers that were spawned out of it. Mordred put out another disc, In This Life in 1991, which became a little more funkier, a little less thrashy, but all good. The last bit of music I have from Mordred released in 1992 called Vision, which even further explored more funk and less metal, but still good. Mordred reunited in 2001 after splitting up in 1995 to play some selected shows. What they are up to now, is beyond me, but from what I've read it's nothing like the previous version of Mordred, should be interesting.
Check out Downtown from In This Life.
Here is The Artist from Fool's Game.
Buy from Amazon here.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home